Oceans Seven......Pat's Adventure of a Lifetime

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Swim cancelled for today

My crew and I met with my boat pilot Quinton Nelson a few minutes ago. He decided to cancel today's swim due to windy conditions. I appreciate his honesty and wise decision to postpone swim for another day. Tomorrow's forecast is rain and wind. I will meet with Quinton on Sunday evening for a possible swim on Monday. I will update my blog tomorrow night. Many thanks to everyone for sending me words of encouragement and support.....I greatly appreciate it.

Friday, July 24, 2015

It's a Go! Maybe....

I met with my boat pilot a few minutes ago. He's concerned with increasing winds expected later tonight. He recommended that we meet at boat dock at 5:30 a.m. (Ireland time zone) Saturday morning, July 25. Eastern Time Zone in Maine would be 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning.He will make his decision at that time.  If the swim starts, my crew member Jeannie will send text messages to my daughter. However, we have had many problems with sending text messages. Some messages are delivered 24 hours later. If text messaging becomes a problem, I will update my blog after the swim is complete. Keeping my fingers crossed for great conditions.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Possibility of Saturday swim

This morning I met with my boat pilot Quinton Nelson and he said that Saturday is a possibility for a swim.   He will make his decision Friday evening after reviewing weather reports. Everything depends on wind direction.  Water temperature continues to fluctuate between 54 and 56 in the harbor. In the North Channel,  water temperature will most likely be colder. I'm hoping for a day of sunshine to help with warmer air and surface water temperatures. Otherwise, my crew and I are having a great time in Donaghadee. I will update my blog tomorrow.....keeping my fingers crossed for a Saturday crossing.

Monday, July 20, 2015

North Channel swim update

I met with my boat pilot Quinton Nelson last evening and he believes conditions will improve for a swim later this week.  There has been overcast skies and rain for the past few days.  On occasion there has been some sunshine for a couple of hours.  Water temperature has been very cold....this morning water temp fluctuated between 53 and 54 degrees.   My crew and I are well prepared for the effects of hypothermia....two years ago I swam across the North Channel in 59 degree water. I started to feel the effects of hypothermia after 16 hours of swimming. With water temperature being much colder this year, we have gone to Plan B....it consist of feeds every hour instead of every 30 to 45 minutes.  After episodes of vomiting (smell of diesel causes severe nausea), I used to have a small amount of concentrated carbohydrate every 20 minutes until I felt better. That plan has changed to consuming a small amount of ginger then next stop is in one hour. To have a successful swim in very cold water temps, I need to cross the channel as quickly as I can.  Being a very slow swimmer,  making adjustments is necessary. I wish I was as speedy as some of my talented friends but I'm not.  At the age of 64, I feel that I still have very good endurance.  I hope Mother Nature provides an increase in water temp and winds pushing me to Scotland. Keeping my fingers crossed and saying lots of prayers for improved conditions.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

2015 North Channel or Bust

I will be leaving Maine on Friday, July 17th with my crew ( my brother David and sister-in-law Jeannie).  I am extremely fortunate to have them crew for me again. Their knowledge of marathon swimming is undeniably the very best.  My husband, son, and daughter will be cheering for me from home.  I will post updates on my blog when my boat pilot Quinton Nelson will allow my swim to commence. Quinton will monitor the weather and tide charts  Once the swim begins my crew will send updates to my daughter and she will post on my blog and Facebook.  After the swim is complete, I will post more details about my swim within twenty-four hours.  Again, the North Channel is known for its unpredictable weather. Today, Mother Nature reared her ugly head and provided unexpected strong currents pulling a relay team off course. The swim was stopped two miles from the finish.  All swimmers were veteran open water swimmers and proved their open water competency.  In marathon swimming, swimmers understand that Mother Nature plays a vitally important role in the outcome of a swim.  After eighteen years of open water swimming, I have accepted the fact that Mother Nature can surprise a swimmer with near perfect conditions or send the harshest weather possible.  I hope and pray that she will be kind to me on my second attempt of the North Channel.  However, if Mother Nature provides  unsettling conditions , I will accept it and move on to the next swim adventure.  North Channel here I come.....prepared to face one of the most grueling and challenging  swims in the world.