2017 English Channel swim

Monday, August 5, 2019

Results of my Lake Memphremagog Swim

Wow!  I did not see the legendary mythical creature Memphre during my 25 mile swim of Lake Memphremagog but I felt the beast of that lake in the form of headwinds, adverse currents, rips (similar pull of riptides), and unexpected rapidly changing conditions.   I was fortunate to have the highly respected Phil White as my boat pilot/ observer.  He knows  that lake very well and he was able to successfully guide me to the finish line.   My sister-in-law Jean was my sole crew.....she went well beyond the expectations of being a crew member.   I could not have succeeded if it was not for the both of them.   When I started my swim shortly after 10pm on Wednesday night, conditions were perfect.....no wind, flat water, and water temp in the seventies.   After 3 hours of swimming,  I noticed that my feed plan of low carbohydrates was not giving me sufficient energy.   I was surprised by the lower than expected energy level because I was training for the past five months on a low carbohydrate lifestyle and  my swim training was going well on a low carb approach.   We had a backup plan of very high carbohydrates and we implemented it after 3 hours.   I quickly felt a surge in energy once I started to consume higher carbs.   I tried a new product called  “UnTapped” an organic maple syrup product.  It was fantastic and I plan to use this product on all future swims.
    Due to the Vermont air temperatures prior to my swim being near ninety, I decided to have electrolyte replacements added to my fluids to prevent dehydration.   The supplement was effective and I did not experience dehydration.  I was swimming well and expected an 18 hour to 20 hour finish.   But about two-thirds distance to the finish line, I felt spasms in my right latissimus dorsi (AKA lats).  As I continued swimming, it progressively got worse.  I noticed the only time I had extremely painful spasms was on my right arm recovery.  I tried other strokes like backstroke and breaststroke but they were not effective.   I didn’t want to quit because I felt fine except for my painful right lats.   As a marathon swimmer,  I had a backup plan to deal with this dilemma......one-arm freestyle and keep my right arm to my side.    It was a much slower stroke but at that point all I wanted was to finish my swim.  As the currents got stronger, I started to use my right arm as a modified “doggy paddle” and left arm in full stroke.  It was a pitiful sight to see but it worked.  I reached the finish line in 24 hours and 8 minutes late Thursday evening.  
   Records:  At the age of 68 years and 180 days, I became the Oldest Person to swim the 25 mile length following the Marathon Swimmers Federation rules.   Also, I became the Oldest Person to complete the Triple Crown of Lake Monster Swims.  And, slowest time to swim the length of Lake Memphremagog.   Swimming this lake was an adventure of a lifetime.   Again, my success was due to having a knowledgeable boat pilot and crew.
   After my swim,  I had the usual wobbly legs walking out of the water, clouded thinking, and mild nausea.   These are all typical adverse effects that marathon swimmers will experience  from swimming for very long hours.   However, I experienced distorted vision for one hour and then it resolved.   It was the most bizarre adverse effect.......as we traveled back by car to Vermont (I was not driving) I saw some beautiful shrubbery along the roadside.   As I turned my head to watch the center of the road, the identical image of  the shrubs were now in the middle of the road for about ten seconds and would disappear.   We drove through these images.   I looked toward the right side of the road again and saw a beautiful line of maple trees.   Then, as I moved my head to look at the center of the road, the identical image of maple trees were now in the middle of the road.   Very bizarre adverse effect!!!   Thankfully it cleared within the hour.   I knew that no shrubs or maple trees were actually in the road but my eyes were playing tricks on me.    My young 11 year old  grandson Trevor explained to me that he believed I had developed a temporary visual perception disorder that was caused by the repetitive motion while swimming.......face down in the darkness of the water then turn face to breathe and see an image, and repeat for 24 hours.    This back and forth motion of darkness, seeing an image, darkness, seeing an image for 24 hours caused my distorted perceptual vision.   It was a very unique experience.....glad it resolved.  I don’t know if Trevor made the right assumption but it sounds plausible to me.
    I would like to thank my husband Jim, children Sarah and Tom, grandkids, family and friends for their ongoing love and support.    A special thank you to my good friend and training partner Yoko.  And,  many thanks to  Phil White and my sister-in-law Jean for their incredible willingness to see me get to the finish line.....no matter how long it took.
  My next swim adventure will be sometimes in November or December.   I am scheduled for jury duty in October.   I will post my next swim once my jury duty has been completed.
     Please see my 3 minute video posted on my blog.   Thank you.

Contact information: patgallant.charette@gmail.com

8 comments:

seaglass47 said...

I never have thought about any pain you might be having, or have had, beyond the perils of the wind. This lat pain must have been very hindering, and painful, and yet you persevered and your grit kept you going. I am thankful for Jean’s and Phil’s parts in staying with you. You continue to be an amazing competitor. Glad you were able to complete the swim.

Anonymous said...

Once again, you achieve amazing success due to your commitment and strength and that which makes you a champ in every endeavor you take. I continue to smile and be so amazed by all you do.

Rohit Messi said...

Nice Post Please Keep Posting Like This On Regular Basis. Here are some use full links.
Amazon Great Indian Sale Offers On Smartphones
Flipkart Big Billion Days Sale Offers On Smartphones

sainty said...

Perfect piece of work you have done, this web site is really cool with great info .

https://www.efashionlady.com
simple mehendi designs
churidar neck designs
blouse back neck designs with borders
neck designs for churidar
mehndi design 2020
sharara designs
rajasthani bridal mehndi designs for full hands

sainty said...

Many thanks for this kind of facts I had been hunting all Search engines to find it!

https://www.iwishesmsg.com
anniversary wishes for sister
25th anniversary wishes
good morning love messages
good night message for him
1st anniversary quotes
50th anniversary quotes
good morning messages for friends
birthday wishes to teacher

merchc said...

Hi, This Memphremagog Swim video is superb.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you all the best for the new phase of your life. We are sure that you will succeed and make us proud as always!
islamic anniversary wishes
anniversary quotes for son and daughter in law
good night message for husband
jumma mubarak wishes messages

Kritika said...

Are you looking for the best CRM Software in New Zealand then we are providing the best CRM software in Chennai.