2017 English Channel swim

Friday, March 1, 2019

Results of Cook Strait swim

My swim started from the North Island of New Zealand on a very calm and sunny day.   I felt strong during my 12+ hours of swimming.   I had no doubt that I would finish.   Then Mother Nature provided very powerful currents and wind.   My boat pilot Philip Rush rightfully stopped my swim a few miles from the finish line for safety of  swimmer and crew.   As the zodiac boat got closer to the main boat,  a large wave caused the zodiac boat to crash into the main boat.  The zodiac was damaged and started to sink with Phil, Tom, and myself still in it with all our gear.   We scrambled to the safety of the main boat.   The Zodiac boat was hoisted to the back of the main boat.
  Swimming Cook Strait was quite the adventure even though my swim was a “DNF”.   I will not be returning to attempt again.   I am satisfied with completing six swims of the Oceans Seven.
   I would like to thank my family and friends for words of encouragement and support.  My son Tom was an incredible crew....I greatly appreciate everything he did.   And, thank you to my daughter Sarah for posting updates on Facebook.    My husband Jim is forever encouraging me to reach for my dreams...I can’t thank him enough.
Also, a special thank you to Suzi Boccanfuso for helping me improve my stroke....it worked.  And, finally many thanks to Yoko Aoshima, my best swim buddy ever....she helped to reinforce Suzi’s advice.
 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

PAT, I MET YOU ONCE AT THE PEAK'S TO PORTLAND SWIM 2017. I TOO AM 68. YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION. AN ABSOLUTE INSPIRATION.
RESPECTFULLY,
TAMI SCHWEITZER
RUSSELL SPRINGS, KY

Vasanti said...

Dear Pat,
you are a hero /heroine in everyone`s book and a tremendous inspiration! You have every reason to feel proud and a winner!

A poem by our team founder I love very much goes like this:

"The determination
In your heroic effort
Will permeate your mind and heart
Even after your success or failure
  Is long forgotten."
- Sri Chinmoy

All the best!
Vasanti, Heidelberg

Rachel Pilling said...

Hello Pat, it was a pleasure to watch your swim yesterday on the computer. My entire office in Ashburton, New Zealand was tracking you! You did a fantastic job and I am proud to see you are representing Maine so heroically. I wish you had gotten better conditions for your swim but I salute your ability to accept the things that are and cannot be changed. You have inspired me and, I think, many others. You have followed your son's words to the letter in that you have gone out there and TRIED. And that's what really counts, in the end.

Best wishes for the rest of your time in New Zealand and your future swim exploits!

Rachel Pilling

Virginia Wilder Cross said...

You are an extraordinary woman!

Anonymous said...

Pat,
I have followed your swims in the newspaper and you are an inspiration to be imaginative in goal setting and to pursue those goals until you couldn’t. 6 out of 7 is more than millions of us have ever done! Wow!!
Pat in Norway.......Maine

Unknown said...

Pat, I am so thrilled to read your blog and see your stories on the news and in magazines!!!!! I worked with you as a nurse years ago!!! Always had respect for you as a professional. You are inspirational as a woman taking on these challenges!!!! Can’t say enough!!!! Thanks from for sharing these unbelievable feats!!!

Anonymous said...

Tides and currents are a bumma!Mother nature always wins unfortunately. Pleasure to see you are still attacking the oceans of the world. Sad to see you are hanging up your bathers before the seventh. But I'm in the same situation and understand fully. Stay well my friend. Steve Junk

Leftmaine said...

Pat,
Being satisfied is another characteristic you exhibit. Congratulations on a valiant swim last week. You are remarkable. Cynthia

BC11 Friend said...

Pat,
You are so successful in not only your amazing swimming feats but also in your dreams!!! Your Kirsten's beautiful song says it all.



Infinity Chartered Channel Crossings said...

Pat your an amazing xxx