2017 English Channel swim

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Results of Strait of Juan de Fuca swim

 On Sunday July 14,  I had an unsuccessful swim attempt of the Strait of Juan de Fuca (between Vancouver Island and the state of Washington).   It was the first time in my lengthy swimming career that I decided to stop my swim.   At the age of 73, I have the endurance to swim many miles but not the tolerance to withstand 49F water temperature.   Approximately one hour and thirty minutes into my swim, I started to experience hypothermia.    It’s not a good sign at the beginning of an eleven mile swim.   I experienced cramped fingers, claw hands, and twitching of legs.   I knew if I persisted in my swim that hypothermia would worsen.  I made the right decision to stop my swim.  Safety is the priority.  My boat pilot Captain Andrew Noble did an incredible job piloting, his crew Brian Kennedy was extremely supportive.   The Northwest Open Water Swimming Association observer Andrew Malinak was very helpful and supportive of my decision.   My crew Jean Murdoch-Gallant (sister-in-law) did a fabulous job.  She is well trained in treating hypothermia and she knew exactly what to do.    

I have no regrets in attempting this grueling swim.   It was an adventure beyond words.



No comments: