2017 English Channel swim

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Final Preparations for the English Channel

Next month, I will be leaving for Dover for a solo attempt of the English Channel.  I completed a 10 hour ocean swim on July 2 as part of the final weeks of training.  Water temp was 59 to 62 degrees and conditions were variable from calm to very choppy.  I continue to train 6 days a week.  I've tested Hammer Nutrition Ultra Endurance (liquid carb and protein) during several training swims. I used the same product during my 2008 crossing....it's a great product.    Crew training is complete.  I will not start my taper until I board the plane to England.  Every swimmer has an "Achilles Heel", mine is motion sickness.  I'm fortunate to live in Maine (USA) where water conditions have been very choppy in the past month....this has helped me to become more acclimated to choppy conditions.   At the age of 60, I'm not any faster but my endurance has certainly improved.  Many thanks to my family and friends who have been very supportive of my endeavor.  And a special "thank you" to my husband Jim who encouraged me several years to reach for this dream.

No comments: