It's a go! My boat pilot Philip Rush called me moments ago to confirm that the weather pattern has improved. I will start my swim within the next 12 hours. If you are living in the Eastern Time Zone, my swim will start around 1pm on Thursday. In New Zealand (18 hours ahead of EST) my swim will start around 7am on Friday morning. The tracking link below will be activated 10 minutes prior to the start of my swim. The link that I posted two weeks ago was deleted. This SpotTracker will give live updates every 10 minutes. Also, cookstraitswim.org will have another tracking device activated. Please visit their website if there is a problem with my tracker. Philip Rush is not only the boat pilot but he is the official of this swim. My son Tom will be my crew member.
This swim will be an adventure of a lifetime......especially at the age of 68 years and 27 days old.
Many thanks to my family and friends for their encouragement and support. A special thank you to Suzi Boccanfuso for helping me to improve my stroke technique. And, a huge thanks to my great friend and swim buddy Yoko Aoshima.
My daughter Sarah will post on Facebook. She will not be updating my blog because the live tracker will be viewed instead. Within 24 hours of completion of my Cook Strait, I will post an update regardless of the outcome. Thank you everyone.
Wednesday, February 27, 2019
Due to gale force winds between the North and South Island of New Zealand, my boat pilot Philip Rush has cancelled day #2 of my 5-day slot. However, extended forecast is promising. I believe my swim of Cook Strait will start around 1pm on Thursday (Eastern Time Zone). Because New Zealand is 18 hours ahead of Eastern Time Zone the start time in New Zealand will be around 7am on Friday (NZ Time Zone). So for my family and friends back home in Maine, I would start checking the tracking link on Thursday at 1pm. The Spot Tracker will be activated about 20 minutes prior to the start of my swim. I will post link tomorrow. And just a reminder that my tracking device will be on the boat, I will not be wearing it. The tracking device will give live updates every 10 minutes. Thank you everyone for your words of support.
Tuesday, February 26, 2019
I just got off the phone with my boat pilot Philip Rush and he reported that conditions are not good for a swim tomorrow (Wednesday) due to wind gusts. However, the forecast for Thursday and Friday look promising. I went for a short training swim in Wellington Harbor this morning and water temperature is tolerable at 59 to 61 degrees. In the meantime, my son and I have been having a relaxful but fun day in Wellington.
Monday, February 25, 2019
Today I spoke with my boat pilot Philip Rush about my tentative swim day. Gusty winds continue to be a problem in the Cook Strait. No swim is scheduled for tomorrow. I will update my blog daily. Just a reminder that New Zealand is 18 hours ahead of the Eastern Time Zone. So, if my swim starts on Thursday at 7am in New Zealand, the time zone in Maine (EST) would be 1pm on Wednesday. Thank you everyone for sending words of encouragement and support. It’s very much appreciated.