2017 English Channel swim

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cancelled swim

I spoke with Philip Rush this evening and storms continue near the South Island.  My swim has been cancelled for Monday.  My crew and I will be leaving New Zealand on Wednesday.  Phil offered me a slot for 2014......I will be coming back to attempt Cook Strait.  I would like to thank my crew for being so supportive.  Also, many thanks to my family at home.  Also a special thank you for all the wonderful emails and Facebook messages received from friends and co-workers.... it was very much appreciated.  A special thank you to L.L Bean's for outfitting my crew and  I with Gor-tex jackets.....we wore these jackets everyday.   It kept us warm and dry during some very rainy days.  My future plans in marathon swimming:  North Channel late August 2013, Cook Strait in 2014,  Molaki Channel at a later date.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Still waiting

Cook Strait update:  No swim for Sunday (April 21) due to weather conditions.  I'm still hoping for improved weather.  Monday is the last day of my slot.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Windy Conditions

Windy conditions in Cook Strait continues....Saturday (April 20) swim has been cancelled.   My crew and I have been keeping ourselves very busy.  We went on a land tour of the North Island.  Also, I've been training in Wellington Harbor every morning.   We're hoping that weather conditions will start to improve on Sunday.  

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Swim Update

For the past week,  my crew and I have been waiting for weather to improve in New Zealand.  My swim of  Cook Strait has been cancelled for Friday (April 19) due to wind and strong currents.   The last day of my slot is Monday.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for improved conditions. 

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tragedy in Boston

My crew and I heard the devastating news of the tragic bombing at the Boston Marathon shortly after it occurred. We are heart broken and mourning the news like so many people world wide.  Our thoughts and prayers go to all runners, families, friends,  volunteers, first responders, and police.  I have been deeply touched by the people of New Zealand.  Some store signs have posted "We love Boston" and words of condolences have been expressed. The first half of  my upcoming swim of  Cook Strait will be dedicated to friends, family, and co-workers who have had breast cancer.  They have inspired me with their strength and determination.  The last half of my crossing will be dedicated to the Boston Marathon victims.  My final mile will be in memory of eight year old Martin Richard and for his critically injured mother and sister, and his devastated father.   Last year,  young Martin wrote on a sign at school "No more hurting people".   My crew will have a sign with Martin's quote on the final mile of my swim as a tribute to him.  God bless him, his family, and all the victims of this terrorist attack.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Day 2.....waiting

I spoke with Philip Rush this evening and tomorrow's forecast is not good for a crossing of Cook Strait.  Tuesday is Day 2 of my seven day slot.  I'm staying positive that the weather will start to improve in a couple of days.  In the meantime, I've been going for short swims in Wellington Harbor and having a great time with my crew. 

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Waiting in New Zealand

Last night my crew and I met with Philip Rush the organizer of the Cook Strait Swim.  It was a great honor for us to meet one of the greatest marathon swimmers in history.  He swam a  crossing of the English Channel in record time. He swam faster in a two way crossing of the English Channel than my solo crossing.  He's remarkable.   Phil will call me each evening after receiving the updated weather report.   If the conditions are right for an attempt of Cook Strait,  he gives us an eight hour notice to be ready.  Our bags are already packed.  Once we get confirmation, my daughter Sarah will update my blog with messages from crew.  I will not have a GPS tracker.    Water temp remains very cold.  The weather report for the next two days predict wind and rain.  I doubt if I will be swimming on Monday and Tuesday....but you never know.  The weather report could change.  I am so fortunate to have my brother David, sister-in-law Jeannie and nephew Chris has my crew.  They have done a fantastic job with our preparation.  We are ready!  I will post as soon I receive word from Phil.  And, a special thank you for sending words of encouragement and support. 

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

New Zealand....Here we come!

Today, my crew and I are leaving for New Zealand for an adventure of a lifetime.  I would like to thank my stay-at-home crew for their ever loving support....My husband and children are a major part of my success.  Their words of encouragement are heartfelt.  Also, sending special thanks to my family (mom, brothers, sisters, in-laws, nieces and nephews)friends and co-workers, too.  And, a very special thank you to L.L. Bean for their quality swim wear and clothing.  I will be wearing the same BeanSport swim suit for my Cook Strait swim...I've worn this suit for my Strait of Gibraltar, English Channel, Catalina and Tsugaru Strait swim....and it still looks brand new.
And finally, many years ago when my brother Robbie died at such a young age of 34, my youngest child Tom encouraged me to swim the Peaks to Portland as a tribute to Robbie. As many of you know, Robbie had won the Peaks to Portland twice.  Tom encouragingly said , "Ma, you can, if you try!".  I will be thinking of Robbie when I swim Cook Strait along with all the other people who have inspired me.  Robbie's son Chris will be at my side in a small boat.  Prior to my swim, Chris will write the name of his dad on my arm, along with my brother Johnny's name. I will be thinking of each one of you and we will cross Cook Strait together.