2017 English Channel swim

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Waiting in New Zealand

Last night my crew and I met with Philip Rush the organizer of the Cook Strait Swim.  It was a great honor for us to meet one of the greatest marathon swimmers in history.  He swam a  crossing of the English Channel in record time. He swam faster in a two way crossing of the English Channel than my solo crossing.  He's remarkable.   Phil will call me each evening after receiving the updated weather report.   If the conditions are right for an attempt of Cook Strait,  he gives us an eight hour notice to be ready.  Our bags are already packed.  Once we get confirmation, my daughter Sarah will update my blog with messages from crew.  I will not have a GPS tracker.    Water temp remains very cold.  The weather report for the next two days predict wind and rain.  I doubt if I will be swimming on Monday and Tuesday....but you never know.  The weather report could change.  I am so fortunate to have my brother David, sister-in-law Jeannie and nephew Chris has my crew.  They have done a fantastic job with our preparation.  We are ready!  I will post as soon I receive word from Phil.  And, a special thank you for sending words of encouragement and support. 


Paula said...

Sounds good. I am cheering for you all.

Bonnie Smith said...

So glad you're keeping us informed. We're as anxious for you to get in the water as you are!

Vicky said...

This is cool!