2017 English Channel swim

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tragedy in Boston

My crew and I heard the devastating news of the tragic bombing at the Boston Marathon shortly after it occurred. We are heart broken and mourning the news like so many people world wide.  Our thoughts and prayers go to all runners, families, friends,  volunteers, first responders, and police.  I have been deeply touched by the people of New Zealand.  Some store signs have posted "We love Boston" and words of condolences have been expressed. The first half of  my upcoming swim of  Cook Strait will be dedicated to friends, family, and co-workers who have had breast cancer.  They have inspired me with their strength and determination.  The last half of my crossing will be dedicated to the Boston Marathon victims.  My final mile will be in memory of eight year old Martin Richard and for his critically injured mother and sister, and his devastated father.   Last year,  young Martin wrote on a sign at school "No more hurting people".   My crew will have a sign with Martin's quote on the final mile of my swim as a tribute to him.  God bless him, his family, and all the victims of this terrorist attack.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are an incredible person Pat!!!!! You are always thinking of others!!!!!! Everything that you do, you do with a purpose!!!!! I am blessed to have you in my life!!!!!

pat said...

Robyn, Thank you for your kind words. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to swim Cook Strait in the next couple of days.

Paula said...

It's so hard to know what to say. Just so sad, and so nice of you for thinking of the world as you swim. Good focus. My best to you.....

pat said...

Paula, I agree with you...it's just so sad. Thank you for sending your best.