2017 English Channel swim

Friday, September 2, 2011

California or bust!

I will be resuming my swim training tomorrow for my next big swim.  I will attempt to swim from Catalina Island (21 miles off the coast of California) to Long Beach, California.  I'm scheduled to start my swim on October 17th late evening.  My crew will consist of my brother Bill and his wife Jean.  My boat pilot is John Pittman of Outrider Sportfishing. Also, I have hired expert kayaker Beth Barnes of California to help navigate my swim.   I am not underestimating the difficulty of swimming San Pedro Channel. It will certainly be a difficult swim....I will be looking forward to the challenge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat, you are a total inspiration.

I heard your interview on NPR and it gave me goosebumps. Something about you having so many roles--wife, mother, sister, grandmother, and nurse--and still taking on another challenge amazes me, and reminds me to keep on pushing myself. I appreciate hearing about your goals as I am just starting a 3 year nursing program at Cal State Long Beach at age 40, in pursuit of a second career. I was feeling uncertain about starting a whole new career over again and going back to school at age 40. After hearing your story (and that you'll be swimming off the California coast!), I am more confident about taking on a new challenge and pushing myself, even though I have so many roles (wife, mother, sister, daughter, nursing student ...)

Instead of feeling overwhelmed by my roles, I'm now realizing I can push to be and do more too, like you.

Thank you for your inspiration! I wish you all the best success, especially in the San Pedro Channel.

Above Ground Pools said...

This sounds so intense. I look forward to hearing about your success!