2017 English Channel swim

Sunday, August 21, 2011

It's a Go !

I will be starting my English Channel attempt on Monday, August 22 at 3:30  A.M.   In Maine (Eastern time zone)  my swim will start tonight at 10:30 P.M. England is 5 hours ahead.   Since everyone back home will be going to bed. I told my daughter not to update my blog until morning.   My boat pilot said the conditions are not the best. There is currently some 9 foot swells.  He said that it might worsen.  If I don't make the attempt tonight, I would probably be going home without a swim.  The remainder of the week has very poor weather conditions with high winds.  So I have decided to take a chance and go for it. There is a tracking website called AIS, location is Dover, England.  The vessel is named the Viking Princess.  You will be able to track my swim live.  I am worried that my crew might develop motion sickness from the swells.  Please pray for calm seas for all of us. 

Waiting and waiting and waiting in Dover

The English Channel has had calm conditions for the past few days.  The tidal flow continues to be very strong for a slow swimmer.  My boat pilot still thinks that Tuesday into Wednesday would be the best time for me to start my swim.   However, I've been checking all the local weather stations and it seems that on those days it will be very windy. I'm letting my boat pilot make the decision when I'll swim.  But,it has been very difficult to see other swimmers cross the channel in very calm conditions. My crew is keeping me calm.  They have been so supportive.   I will get the update from my boat pilot this evening....I'm hoping that he will tell me that my swim will start on Monday. Thank you for all the great emails of support...It has been a tremendous help.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Dover update

I spoke with my boat pilot this evening.  And, the best possible crossing for me would be on Monday or Tuesday.  Several swimmers have been out today and they were successful with very fast times.  Since I'm a slow swimmer, I have to wait for a weaker tidal flow. Tuesday is the weakest tide.  However, wind may be another problem...a cold front is expected.  I'll update tomorrow.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Meeting a swim icon......

It was a surprise when we discovered that our neighbor at Varne Ridge Caravan Park is International Swimming Hall of Fame swimmer Montserrat Tresserras.  She was inducted into the International Swim Hall of Fame the same year Johnny Weismuller (Tarzan).  At the age of 80, she is remarkable and full of energy.  She gave me several tips on swimming the Channel. She is holding one of her books that she has written on her experiences  as open water swimmer.  We were honored to meet her.  She is a legend in the open water swim community.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Swim Postponed

I met with my boat pilot this evening.  Weather forecast has improved but the tidal flow is not suited for a "slow" swimmer of 16 hours +.  He recommended waiting until Monday.  The predicted tidal flow is much weaker. I have full confidence in his judgement....I will swim when he give me the go ahead.  In the meantime, we are having a great time.