2017 English Channel swim

Friday, January 31, 2014

Retirement?

At the age of 63, I continue to work as a nurse 32 hours per week and help care for my three young grandchildren (ages 5, 3, and 2) for 40+ hours a week.  I train for my marathon swims in my spare time.  In the past several months, I have been asked if I plan to retire from marathon swimming. My response, "Absolutely not!" I believe that I have many more years of marathon swimming ahead of me. There are so many wonderful swims worldwide that I would love to attempt.  However, the expense of these swims is very costly and I need to continue to work to pay for these swims. I love the sport of marathon swimming.....Mother Nature has not dampened my spirit to continue with my open water swim adventures.  If anything, Mother Nature has energized my determination.  For me, the sport of marathon swimming is more than reaching the finish line.....it's the journey. My swim of Cook Strait in New Zealand, was an adventure of a lifetime. And, although Mother Nature was stronger than my swimming, I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge.  And, now onto the next swim adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Do what you love.