2017 English Channel swim

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Post Swim update

Yesterday, I attempted to swim across the English Channel with hopes of setting a new world record for the oldest woman.   My marathon swim training prepared me well for this 21 mile swim.  However, Mother Nature provided very choppy conditions and I started getting motion sickness.  My crew and I were well prepared for that dilemma.  I was taking motion sickness medication daily for three days prior to my swim. Also, we had an array of medicines on board to deal with motion sickness.   Nothing worked.  I started vomiting within 2 hours of my swim. As conditions worsened, so did my vomiting.  I was prepared to swim no matter how long it took me to reach France.  Even if it meant breaking Jackie Cobell's longest time record of 28 hours.  I even had the number "28" written on my arm as a reminder of her epic swim.  But, my stomach could not tolerate any feeds. During my swim training, I had prepared myself for this type of event by swimming for six hours without food or fluid.  I felt like I had the endurance to reach France.  However, my boat pilot said that conditions were going to worsen. And, probably my vomiting would worsen, too.   I respected his concern.  My crew and I made the decision to abort my swim at 10 hours and 30 minutes    I was greatly disappointed but not defeated.  In life, we all deal with disappointments but we learn from these events.  We look forward and rise up. Many thanks to my boat crew David and Jeannie Gallant.  They are an outstanding boat crew. Also, I want to thank my husband Jim who is a huge positive support in my life.  Many thanks to my children for their unending love and support. Also, I want to thank boat pilots  Ray and Reg Brickell for their honesty and great piloting skills.  And a special thank you to all my extended family members and friends for their words of encouragement and support.   Thank you.    Now, on to the next adventure!

No comments: