2017 English Channel swim

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Loch Ness swim

     Early Saturday morning, August 18 I will attempt to swim the 23 mile length of Loch Ness in Scotland (weather permitting).   This swim is part of the Still Water Eight Challenge, a group of 8 marathon swims in lakes worldwide.   Loch Ness is known for its alleged sightings of the Loch Ness Monster.   My three young grandchildren are very excited that I might see Nessie.  My crew will have a camera in hand just in case they see the infamous Nessie.  Ha! Ha!
    My biggest concern for this swim is the very low water temperature.  For the past month, it has rained nearly everyday causing lower then normal temperatures.  I expect the water temperature to be 50 degrees and if I'm lucky it will reach 54.  Forecast predicted for our nine day stay is rain everyday with windy conditions.  Not a good weather report for a marathon swim.   The odds are stacked heavily against me for a successful swim due to decreased water temps.   Regardless of the poor conditions for a swim, I will attempt it.     My brother David and sister-in-law's Jeannie and Jean will be my crew.  They are highly trained crew members and I am very fortunate to have them with me.  They know how to treat hypothermia which I will undoubtedly experience.  My swim will start around 5:30am in Fort Augustus and finish at the opposite end of the Loch.    My crew will activate my Spot Tracker 10 minutes prior to the start of my swim.  Due to time zone change,  my swim will start at 12:30am Eastern Time Zone on Saturday morning,   Scotland is 5 hours ahead so my swim would start at 5:30am their time.    Regardless of the outcome, I will update my blog within 24 hours of the completion of my swim.  Two days after my Loch Ness swim,  my crew and I will drive to England for my next marathon swim.  I will attempt to swim the 12 mile length of Lake Windermere.   It is included in the Still Water Eight Challenge.   I will post the link to my my Windermere swim a day before my swim that will occur on August 22 or 23 (weather permitting).  A special thank you to my family and friends for their ongoing love and support.    You're the best!      
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0oyjY75LBB2qzf3oskPkvyKzrVfDKKS6R

Contact information: patgallant.charette@gmail.com

No comments: