2017 English Channel swim

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Each mile dedicated to.....

During my next attempt of the English Channel, I plan to dedicate each mile of my swim to someone who has inspired me. My crew will proudly hold a poster with that persons' name printed on it.  For example, the first mile of my swim will be dedicated to my young neighbor who is being treated for cancer. Her determination to fight this disease is truly inspirational....  The next mile will be dedicated to a young friend of mine who is confined to a wheelchair.... his smile is contagious. He has never complained of his disability...I have learned so much from him. The next mile is dedicated to my husband and children for their unending love and support.  The next mile will be dedicated to my good friend Yoko. She didn't know how to swim a few years ago. And today, she has developed into a great open water swimmer...I have enjoyed training with her.   Since I'm a slow swimmer and I expect to swim approximately 30 miles with the tidal flow, I have a very long list of names of people who have inspired me...not enough space in this blog posting to list everyone.  The very last mile of my swim is dedicated to the Maine Medical Center Mended Hearts Support Group.  These individuals have given support to so many people who have had a cardiac event...they are inspirational.   And lastly, as I walk onto French soil at the conclusion of my swim,  I will proudly point to the sky and say "this is for you, Robbie".   His sixteen year old son Christopher will be at my side for this special tribute to his dad.

4 comments:

Swimming for ME said...

Go Pat! You can do it! All the Maine swimmers will be cheering you on from across the Atlantic. It really is something amazing you are doing. I'm looking forward to reading the updates on your inspirational swim. Enjoy yourself out there!

Evelyn Norton St. Pierre said...

Patty, I wish you every success! You are such an inspiration... Travel safe...

Anonymous said...

Aunt Patty I'm so inspired by YOU! Thank you for having such a big heart and an endless amount of courage! I'm rooting for your successful swim across the Channel! Love you, Jill

Henley18 said...

I hope the list is not too long. I don't wan't to hear that Christopher had to wait on the beach for hours while Pat was treading water so she could get through the list.