2017 English Channel swim

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Update from Dover

Many swimmers throughout the world have come to Dover,England to attempt to swim the English Channel. I had a wonderful opportunity to speak to several of them about their dreams of swimming the channel.  Also, I spoke to them about my hopes of promoting the yearly global swim event called "Swim for your Heart..Feb 14".  This event brings an awareness of heart disease and it's prevention.  Swimmers can organize a swim in their hometown and raise money for their local heart association, cardiac rehabilitation center, or cardiac facility.  Yesterday, a swimmer from Australia said he will organize 200 swimmers to participate and send proceeds to the Australian Heart Association.  A swimmer from South Africa said that she would take part and contact fellow swimmers.  I met a college swim captain from the USA and she said she will organize an event on Feb 14.   Also, I met a long distance swimmer from New York City, and he said he will promote this event in his area.  Several swimmers from Mexico were in Dover and they wore their "Swim for you Heart" logo, they will be participating in next years' event. They will be sending their proceeds to the Mexican Heart Association.   Many of you know that my brother Robbie died at the age of 34 of a heart attack.  It was a tremendous loss to our family.  He was such a wonderful person. In promoting "Swim for Your Heart..Feb 14", I hope other families will not experience the tragedy that we went through. Many in the global swim community will join in thought and action on February 14 and bring the aware of heart disease prevention.  I hope you will join me and the thousands of swimmers globally in promoting this event.  Thank you.

2 comments:

Henley18 said...

Pat; several thoughts
1. Add a Swim for Your Heart link to the blog
2. We should have no problem getting plenty of support at the Y and GPS. If you want help I will do whatever I can
3. As I recollect I saw you with a swim For Your Heart Cap. I see folks in the photos with tee shirts. Is there a way we can access and sell?

Anonymous said...

Heard you on NPR this weekend, you were fabulous! Congratulations again!